Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Come to me all who are weary Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30


Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30 Gospel Reading for Sunday July 3rd 2011

Here we have another classic example of a reading where we cannot possibly hope to get the full picture of what it is about without stepping back to take in the broader context. The whole of Chapter 11 is really a complex answer to a simple question that the followers of John the Baptist ask Jesus ... see verse 3 ..."Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"

The lectionary reading only comes in on the tail end of Jesus' response. It does however contain a well known and often quoted invitation of Jesus: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

We have I think in these days interpreted this statement in a way quite different to what Jesus intended. We tend to use it in a more literal context, and indeed associate it with funerals and the end of life on earth. (Not to say that this is not a valid interpretation for us today.)

The reading continues ... "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

What is this YOKE that Jesus talks about?

Eugene Petersen in the Message version gives us a hint of some alternative thinking ...

28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

A number of contributors to The Text week site that I often use as a starting point for researching the lectionary passages, have picked up this alternative thread of thinking:

I quote here from Pastor Edward F. Markquart, Grace Lutheran Church, Des Moines, Washington. (http://www.sermonsfromseattle.com/)

"What is Jesus’ yoke?

The word, “yoke,” symbolizes religion. The religion of the Pharisees was a thousand rules and regulations which essentially said, “No, no, no, no, no” to everything. Negative, negative, negative, negative, negative.

Whereas the religion of Jesus was simple and positive. To love God and love neighbor. To love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself. To be merciful, loving and kind ...

We all need to wear the yoke of Jesus. We all need to wear the religion of Jesus. Love of God. Love of neighbor ...

We are all to learn from Jesus. Jesus is our teacher and we are his students or disciples. We are to learn gentleness and humility, love and forgiveness, faith and trust in the goodness of God. We are to have faith that moves mountains and carries momentous burdens.

What ever our interpretation, Jesus' words to us are our source of energy, comfort and food for thought at the weary end of a long semester for all of us.

This religion, Jesus’ yoke, is easy compared to the Pharisees with all their harsh, negative rules."


Blessings to everyone in these last days of term.
Nev

No comments:

Post a Comment