Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A thought to start the year... John 3:30


Following my last Gospel Reflection at the end of last year, a number of the  readings during Advent focused around John the Baptist. One line in particular has stuck in my mind during the break.  Here are three different translations of the verse in question (John 3:30) ...

"He must increase; I must decrease"

"This is the assigned moment for him to move into the centre, while I slip off to the sidelines." 

"He must become greater; I must become less"


What great advice that is as we reflect on our leadership role in Lutheran Schools for 2010.

The world in general, in fact, needs to decrease the I.

If we can reduce the focus on I and bring that back down to a   small I size ...

while simultaneously increasing  JESUS ...

Sounds like a good foundation from which to launch into the year for all of us.

Nev
January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment